Changing your RAD Studio Serial without Reinstalling

August 11th, 2017 Posted by Embarcadero No Comment yet

It was only today that I got around to updating the VM I use for demos to RAD Studio 10.2.1. Unlike the VM’s I use for customer projects, this one is using my MVP License. I installed 10.2.1 no problems, but upon running I got the following error message:

An Update Subscription for Embarcadero Delphi 10.2 is required which has expired prior to this release

 

After a moment of confusion, I realised I might have used my old Berlin MVP license during the install, so the error message is probably correct.

This is easy enough to fix, but I’ve had a few customers ask me about this so I thought I’d grab some screenshots and write up how to replace serials in a RAD Studio install.

First, make sure you have a new Serial. Err, did I? Searching through my emails didn’t turn one up, nor could I find it in amongst the other company licenses. Fortunately, Jim McKeeth took pity on me and issued me a new MVP key during his evening. You rock, Jim!

OK, second step. Browse to the bin directory of your RAD Studio install. By default this will be at C:\Program Files\Embarcadero\Studio\19.0\bin. In there you should see a LicenseManager.exe.

Run that and you’ll see a list of all the Embarcadero licenses you have installed on this machine. In my case there was only one so it was easy to find the one that I wanted. Indeed, I did use My Berlin key and yes, it had expired a few months ago.

Once you’ve found the offending serial, select it and then click on the Delete link over on the right-hand side.

Then, armed with your new serial, click on the Register link also on the right-hand side and that will kick off  the same Registration Wizard you see during the installation process, where you can register your new serial.

Once that’s done, run RAD Studio and you should be good to go.

I’ve also recently had a customer who had trouble adding a Mobile Pack license to an existing Delphi installation. Again, going into the LicenseManager and registering the license in there got them past the issue and they could then access the mobile bits in the IDE.

Tags: , , ,

No comments yet. You should be kind and add one!

Leave a Reply